Friday, May 2, 2008

Commercials for states?????


So I was sick this week which means that there was a lot of laying around reading, homework, and watching tv. In this time watching tv during the day, there are a lot of commercials that are on that are not aired at night. there were several in common that I found very intriguing and slightly disturbing. I am not sure if this is a new trend or if I have been completely oblivious for some time, but I was absolutely astounded by the number of commercials advertising states. For example there was a commercial for Wisconsin that described all of the carefree activities one could partake in to make them feel like kids again. I'm from Wisconsin and nothing that was shown reminded me of anything there. I was so confused as to who these commercials were directed towards. Even if someone who was looking for a vacation spot saw the ad, would they really just pack up and go to Wisconsin? The ad didn't even suggest places to go in the state. It was more like "just come on over 'cause the whole state is awesome."
Worse than this was the commercial for Puerto Rico that I saw. An ad for an entire country? are they selling the whole country off as a product?
Is this new to anyone besides me? Does this not strike anyone else as really disturbing and weird? maybe it is just me.

No comments: